Joe’s practice focuses on representing individuals and businesses in a broad range of government investigations and criminal cases throughout North Carolina and the country. He has over twenty years experience in both federal and state courts. His clients have included public officials, corporate executives and business owners, doctors, lawyers, judges, and businesses of all sizes.
Joe has defended clients in cases and investigations involving allegations of fraud, tax crimes, antitrust violations, customs violations, environmental crimes, securities crimes, money laundering, and drug crimes. A substantial portion of his practice involves representing health care providers in litigation against the government in criminal cases and in civil False Claims Act cases. Joe has represented numerous clients in forfeiture proceedings, and successfully obtained the return to the client of property seized by the government. Joe also represents business clients in civil False Claims Act cases in federal courts and in other high-stakes civil litigation.
Joe has defended clients in scores of trials in federal and state courts, with a high number of successful outcomes. Joe has successfully argued appeals in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, the North Carolina Court of Appeals, and the North Carolina Supreme Court. In addition to his courtroom work, Joe’s practice focuses on assisting clients under investigation in avoiding the bringing of criminal charges or civil enforcement actions altogether. Some of his most successful representations have involved the avoidance of litigation entirely for his client.
Joe began his legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable William L. Osteen, Sr., judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina.
● Named by Best Lawyers as Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year” in Criminal Defense -- 2015 and 2016
● Best Lawyers in America -- 2003 to present
● Business North Carolina “Legal Elite” -- 2008 to present
● North Carolina “Super Lawyers” -- 2006 to present
● Rated “AV” by Martindale Hubbell
● Named as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in North Carolina, North Carolina “Super Lawyers” -- 2010
● Represented owner of military contracting company charged in federal court with procurement fraud offenses relating to efforts to obtain Government contracts; obtained pretrial dismissal of all counts in indictment via motion to dismiss demonstrating that acts alleged in indictment did not constitute a crime
● Represented owner of finance company charged in federal court with money laundering offenses; obtained dismissal and judgment of acquittal on all counts at close of Government evidence at trial
● Represented owner of company in criminal tax investigation arising from nonpayment of millions of dollars of employment taxes; investigation terminated with no criminal charges being filed
● Represented supervisory law enforcement officer in bribery and corruption investigation; investigation terminated with no criminal charges being filed
● Represented corporate executive in antitrust investigation relating to allegations of bid-rigging; investigation terminated with no criminal charges being filed
● Represented company in criminal customs investigation relating to allegations of importation of counterfeit goods; investigation terminated with no criminal charges being filed
● Represented health care providers in criminal and civil investigations into billing practices; investigations terminated with no criminal charges or civil actions being filed
Contact Joe via email here.